Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Denys George Wells













1881 - 1973.
http://www.artnet.com/artist/24989/denys-george-wells.html

http://www.bonhams.com/cgi-bin/public.sh/pubweb/publicSite.r?sContinent=EUR&screen=lotdetailsNoFlash&iSaleItemNo=2603062&iSaleNo=11641&iSaleSectionNo=1


Born in Bedford. Went to the Slade School of Art.


[The Artist's Wife Ethel playing the Guitar]
signed and dated l.l.: D. G. Wells 10

oil on panel
13 by 9¾ in.

[Children Playing]
signed and dated l.l.: Denys G. Wells 13

oil on canvas, unframed
30 by 25 in.

[Nursery Tea]
signed and dated l.l.: Denys Wells 09

oil on canvas
30 by 25 in.
Hammer Price with Buyer's Premium: 9,000 GBP

[The Arbor]
signed l.l.: Denys G. Wells

oil on canvas
30 by 24 in.
Hammer Price with Buyer's Premium: 6,000 GBP

2 comments:

alice c said...

Oh! Thank you! I was not familiar with this artist and I love these paintings. They remind me of some of the Scandanavian work of the same period. I particularly love The Nursery Tea which has a wonderful sense of calm.

Hermes said...

New to me too, but I love this work.